IT Analyst (Job #493345)
Technology Innovation Team
(2 positions available)
The Hilltop Institute (www.hilltopinstitute.org) at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County is seeking two IT Analysts to join our Technology Innovation team. Hilltop is a university-based, non-partisan research organization dedicated to improving the health and wellbeing of people and communities. Hilltop conducts research, policy analysis, and sophisticated data analytics to support health care financing and delivery system reform in Maryland and other states. Hilltop is at the forefront of national efforts to find data-driven solutions to complex problems facing state policymakers as publicly funded health care systems transition to new models that reward quality and value over volume.
With access to an extensive onsite data warehouse that includes Medicare and Medicaid administrative data, hospital discharge data, nursing home assessment data, and long-term services and supports (LTSS) assessment and program participant data, Hilltop’s Technology Innovation team provides statistical programming, web applications, data visualizations and reports, and project management services to various external and internal clients for policy analysis, program evaluation, and rate setting. Of the suite of products supported by the team, the MMIS-based decision support system (DSS) is utilized by the Maryland Department of Health (MDH), as well as the public at large. The team is currently developing a next generation DSS, called the DataPort, which uses a Tableau® front end and provides additional data exploration capabilities. The team also supports LTSSMaryland, a person-centered information system supporting a broad array of care functions of home and community-based waivers/programs and with business processes revolving around the main client record, providing users with a detailed chronology of participant interactions. In addition, the team leads Hilltop’s project management process using the Agile methodology. Other Hilltop clients include the Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA) and the Health Services Cost Review Commission (HSCRC), as well as federal government and several state Medicaid agencies.
Hilltop’s Technology Innovation team is experiencing growth as it develops Hilltop’s vision for technologic innovation and works to translate that vision into strategic priorities and work plans. The team is working to solidify Hilltop’s standing as a leading data-driven state health policy research organization while maintaining compliance with HIPAA and other regulatory requirements related to data management and security.
The incumbent will support the development, implementation, ongoing management, and continuous improvement process for Hilltop-developed and supported technologies, including providing IT analyst support for the development of LTSSMaryland, the DataPort, and other new Hilltop applications. The incumbent will also work with internal and external clients to translate ambiguous requests into functional requirements and technical specifications. Such requests may include new application development, modifications to existing system functionality, survey development, or other data/report requests. In addition, the individual will work closely with senior managers and directors to build standards, quality control, and business processes for application development, program management, and operations.
Specific duties include:
- Assisting with expanding the scope of LTSSMaryland through the incorporation of additional Medicaid program and services modules, evaluation tools, and expanding current functionality by participating on a project team that includes working directly with MDH staff and software development contractors.
- Providing consultation to MDH senior program managers to identify policy and program requirements and to the software developer to translate those requirements into LTSSMaryland
- Reviewing LTSSMaryland system artifacts including end-user materials, change request documents, work orders, user stories, and use cases and participating in user acceptance testing to ensure that system functionality meets the MDH’s requirements.
- Assisting with system trainings for LTSSMaryland
DataPort and New Applications Development
- Working with senior Hilltop staff to understand and incorporate health care data, policies, standards, and business processes into Hilltop-developed systems.
- Providing project management support using Agile and scrum methodologies to develop product backlogs and project roadmaps; coordinating feature team activities and providing project and contract monitoring reports to senior management.
- Assisting with formalizing testing, quality assurance, and product development of enterprise-wide processes to ensure value is routinely delivered to clients.
- Gaining an understanding of internal and external clients’ reporting and business needs and translating that into system, program, and technical specification requirements—including developing specifications, requirements, and quality assurance documentation. This also includes working with systems engineers to conceptualize updates to the data model to meet client requirements.
- Documenting system requirements in product backlogs, monitoring/performing user acceptance testing, and documenting defects and modification requests.
- Participating on project teams using Agile and scrum methodologies. This may include both leading features teams and providing project management support by documenting user stories and preparing project status reports.
- Developing and conducting training for Hilltop-developed and supported products to internal and external clients.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Requires a master’s degree with course work in information systems, public policy, public administration, or health disciplines and one year of relevant experience. Must be able to work collaboratively on project teams and learn independently. Must have excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills and be able to work with a variety of stakeholder groups. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office and have strong analytical skills. Note: A bachelor’s degree and three years of experience in a related field may be substituted for the master’s degree and required experience.
The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of Medicaid programs and policy, health care administrative data, and software development best practices as well as experience with: LTSSMaryland and/or other health care database systems development projects; gathering business process requirements; developing system artifacts such as product backlogs, user stories, training manuals, change requests, and user acceptance documents; following Agile and scrum software development values and principles; and project management. Certifications in business analysis, project management, Agile, or scrum a plus.
Exempt, Full-time, Grant Funded (Note: This position is grant-funded, wherein employment is contingent upon the renewal of the grant). Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. The position is full-time and offers opportunity for professional growth and the full university benefits package, including tuition remission for qualified candidates. Note: this is a grant-funded position wherein employment is contingent upon the renewal of the grant. While this position is onsite at The Hilltop Institute’s offices located on the UMBC campus, options for part-time telework are anticipated as UMBC finalizes its plans for reopening in fall 2021.
Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled, but for best consideration, submit a cover letter (indicating Job #493345), resume, and the contact information for three professional references in three separate Word or PDF attachments by July 1, 2021, to the Technology Innovation IT Analyst Search Committee at:
As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
UMBC IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
April 22, 2021