Senior Director, Technology Management, Innovation, and Compliance (Job #493518)
The Hilltop Institute at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) is seeking a Senior Director for Technology Management, Innovation, and Compliance to join its executive management team. Hilltop is a nonpartisan research center with a staff of 50 health researchers, policy analysts, and programmers dedicated to improving the health and wellbeing of people and communities. Hilltop performs data analytics and advanced statistical modeling to support health care operations and policy making by Maryland state agencies and cutting-edge research to advance health care financing and delivery system reform. Hilltop collaborates with Maryland’s health information exchange to ensure that data shared with providers are both accessible and actionable.
Hilltop’s state-of-the-art data management infrastructure—which includes a SAS data warehouse and production environment, as well as SQL Server databases for client applications—supports advanced analytics and data science projects linking multiple large health care data sets using tools such as Tableau. Hilltop is seeking candidates with experience in application development, project management, systems operations, and information security to support Hilltop’s research initiatives and work with state agencies. As the organization’s HIPAA Security Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for monitoring compliance with HIPAA/HITECH and other state and federal requirements as well as data use agreements for sharing protected health information (PHI).
The Senior Director for Technology Management, Innovation, and Compliance reports to Hilltop’s Executive Director and is a key member of Hilltop’s executive management team. Specific responsibilities include:
- Continuously monitor and assess new technologies, regulatory requirements, and developments in data science and lead the development and execution of the organizational vision for technologic innovation.
- Expand Hilltop’s continuous integration/continuous delivery and deployment (CI/CD) capability through coupling of the development cycle of projects and operations to Hilltop’s requirements tracking system (Azure DevOps) and version control system (gitlab).
- Ensure compliance with HIPAA/HITECH and other regulatory requirements related to data management and security, including risk assessment and disaster recovery planning; oversee data management consistent with the terms of data use agreements.
- Serve as executive liaison with UMBC’s Division of Information Technology (DoIT) to advance the continued modernization of Hilltop’s data infrastructure and provide IT support for Hilltop’s offices and telework. Leverage HIPAA-approved cloud-based solutions, such as AWS storage and Azure services.
- Oversee vendor procurements and contracts for IT software and equipment, such as HEDIS software and development licenses for SAS, Stata, and Tableau.
- Mentor direct reports and provide opportunities for professional growth and development.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The Senior Director for Technology Management, Innovation, and Compliance requires leadership, strategic focus, management expertise, personal initiative, and excellent relationship-building skills. The successful candidate must possess a master’s degree in business management/administration, information technology, cybersecurity, public policy, law, or a related discipline and at least 8 years of relevant experience. Government or university experience is a plus. (A bachelor’s degree in business management/administration, information technology, cybersecurity, public policy, or a related discipline and at least 10 years of relevant experience may be substituted for the master’s degree and 8 years of experience.)
- Substantive knowledge of information technology and prior experience in facilitating technologic innovation in application development, project management, systems operations, and information security.
- Experience in interpreting, administering, and ensuring compliance with data privacy and security laws and regulations.
- The ability to provide leadership, assess challenges and opportunities, exercise sound judgment and informed decision making, build consensus, effectively communicate verbally and in writing, and motivate and manage project teams and staff.
- The ability to nurture and enhance relationships within the UMBC community and externally with clients, sponsors, and other stakeholders.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Full benefit package and tuition remission included.
While this position is onsite at The Hilltop Institute’s offices located on the UMBC campus, options for part-time telework/remote work are available.
Resumes will be accepted until position is filled, but for best consideration, email a cover letter (indicating Job # 493518), resume, and contact information for three professional references (in three separate email attachments) by May 31, 2022, to the Senior Director, Technology Innovation, Management, and Compliance Search Committee at:
As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work in the U.S.
UMBC is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
May 13, 2022