Business Services Specialist (Job #494368)
The Hilltop Institute at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) is seeking a Business Services Specialist to join its Business Office team. Hilltop is a non-partisan health research organization that conducts research and policy analysis funded by contracts with government agencies, foundations, and nonprofit organizations at the national, state, and local levels. Hilltop is seeking team members with a passion for our mission to advance the health and wellbeing of vulnerable populations.
Under the general supervision of the Business Manager, the incumbent will exercise judgment, quality, and internal controls in performing activities essential to business management services. These include human resources/benefits, accounts payable, purchasing, travel, reconciliations support, journal transfers, payroll, and time-entry. The incumbent will keep abreast of online UMBC Policies and Procedures in conjunction with UMBC central administration offices to ensure Hilltop’s compliance with sponsor requirements and state legislative audits.
- Purchasing, Accounts Payable:
- Initiating internal approvals and executing new requisitions through UMBC’s Procurement System
- Resolving vendor questions/issues
- Submitting software purchases, contracts, and renewal requests through UMBC’s process for compliance with security, technical, procurement, and legal policies
- Processing and reconciling credit card purchases
- Human Resources:
- Performing all personnel requirements related to compensation, reclassification, and recruitment via DocuSign and other remote processes
- Initiating internal onboarding/offboarding processes for Hilltop employees
- Entering online employee cost allocations to PeopleSoft
- Updating new employee time sheet information
- Entering PeopleSoft payroll into Hilltop’s shadow system and reconciling year-to-date totals
- Reviewing and acknowledging manual leave adjustments per legislative audit requirements
- Processing bi-weekly time entry
- Coordinating UMBC travel requests
- Performing other duties as assigned
Requires a high school diploma or GED and six years of progressively responsible experience in a combination of budgeting, accounting, payroll, purchasing, and personnel work.
Note: This position may require a skills exercise and will require a background check.
Associate degree or higher in Business, Accounting, Public Administration, Public Policy, Public Health, or related discipline. Working knowledge of accounting principles and practices. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Prior experience working with PeopleSoft. Ability to perform basic mathematical computations, perform accurate data entry, and organize, prioritize, and execute a variety of assignments. Ability to understand and interpret University policies and procedures in the areas of finance, human resources, payroll, and purchasing. Ability to provide outstanding service to internal and external clients and communicate effectively orally and in writing. Ability to effectively carry out duties using PeopleSoft and other computer applications. Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion and tact.
The ideal candidate will also be a team player and efficient worker who exercises good judgment, eagerly accepts new challenges, embraces new technologies, and seeks to grow professionally. Candidates seeking to re-enter the workforce are welcome.
Compensation and Benefits
This position is classified as nonexempt regular. Pay Range 11 (starting at $46,407) based on the University System of Maryland Pay Program.
While this position is onsite at The Hilltop Institute’s offices located on the UMBC campus, options for part-time telework/remote work are available.
Note: this is a grant-funded position wherein employment is contingent upon the renewal of the grant.
Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. Send a cover letter (indicating Job #494368), resume, and contact information for three professional references (in three separate attachments) to the Business Services Specialist Search Committee at:
As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work in the U.S.
UMBC is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
November 10, 2023